Another happy accident. The kind that only occurs when you think there’s nothing in the fridge but you stand there for ages anyway just staring into it’s cool, glowing womb-like shelter, thinking… Eggs and curry powder are soul mates; and topping this with grilled cheddar makes the whole dish come alive.
4 eggs loosely beaten
a handful of frozen peas
half an onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
slices of strong cheddar
1 finely chopped chilli (optional)
- Heat the oil and add the cumin seeds.
- When they start to crackle add the onion and garlic and stir around until golden.
- Add the garam masala, curry powder, chilli (if using).
- Turn the grill on to it’s highest setting.
- stir in the eggs and peas and cook until the eggs have almost set.
- Sprinkle over the salt and lay the cheese slices over the omelette.
- Grill until the cheese is bubbling and golden and serve immediately with a salad and a glass of white wine.