This was an accident that turned out to be truly delicious and turns a traditional side dish of dauphinoise into a more substantial one-dish comfort meal.
4 poached eggs
1kg potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
finely chopped parsley
1 tub double cream
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
freshly grated nutmeg
freshly ground pepper
1 packet of gruyere cheese, grated
2 x tins of smoked tuna
a handful of olives, finely chopped
a handful of sundried tomatoes, finely chopped
3 marinaded anchovies, finely chopped
2 handfuls of green beans, blanched and roughly chopped
1) Combine the garlic, olives, sun-dried tomatoes and half of the cheese in a bowl.
2) Place a layer of the potatoes in a shallow round baking dish and sprinkle a little of the garlic/olive/cheese/tomato mixture over.
3) Flake over some of the tuna.
4) sprinkle over some of the beans and grate nutmeg and black pepper over the top.
5) Continue to layer potatoes, garlic-olive-tomatoes, tuna, beans, nutmeg and pepper until all the ingredients have been used up, finishing with a layer of potato.
6)Pour over the cream and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
7) Bake at 190C/gas mark4 for an hour or until the cream has set and the topping is golden.
8) Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley and a poached egg.