half a green cabbage
4 tablespoons of olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
3/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
200g (7oz) onions, peeled and sliced into fine half-rings
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp chilli powder or 1/2 fresh green chilli
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp garam masala
1)Slice the cabbage into long fine shreds
2) Heat the oil in a non-stick pan over a medium high heat.
3) When the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds. They should crackle and pop. Then add the cumin and fennel seeds.
4)Add the onions and garlic and stir fry for about 4 minutes.
5)When the onions begin to turn gold, add the cabbage and stir fry for about 5 minutes, or until the cabbage has browned somewhat.
6) Add the salt and the chilli powder or fresh chilli.
7) Reduce the heat to medium low and cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are nicely caramelized.
8) Add the lemon juice and the garam masala and serve.