115g (4oz) onions, peeled and roughly chopped
5-6 large cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
5cm (2 inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin seeds
1 tsp ground coriander seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
200g (7oz) chopped tomatoes
560g (1 1/4 lb) minced lamb
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp garam masala
4 tbsp natural yoghurt
2 tbsp lime juice
1 fresh hot green chilli, chopped
6 tbsp coarsely chopped green coriander
140g (5oz) peas, fresh or frozen
1) Blitz the onions, ginger and garlic in a food processor
2) Heat a small heavy based frying pan and add the cumin and coriander. Toast for about 5 minutes without burning, until they give off a light aroma. Grind in a coffee grinder or a pestle and mortar.
3)Heat the oil in a wide, non-stick pan and when hot add the onion/garlic/ginger mixture and stir and fry until golden.
Add the chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and turmeric. Stir and add the tomatoes and yoghurt. Cook over a high heat until the tomatoes are soft.
4) Add the meat, salt and garam masala. Stir breaking up any lumps for a couple of minutes.
5) Add 250ml (8fl oz) water. Stir and cover with a lid. Simmer for around 25 minutes on a low heat.
6) Add the lime juice, green chilli, coriander and peas. Stir and simmer for a further 5 minutes and serve.