Masala OmelettePosted: April 11, 2009
Another happy accident. The kind that only occurs when you think there’s nothing in the fridge but you stand there for ages anyway just staring into it’s cool, glowing womb-like shelter, thinking… Eggs and curry powder are soul mates; and topping this with grilled cheddar makes the whole dish come alive.
4 eggs loosely beaten
a handful of frozen peas
half an onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
slices of strong cheddar
1 finely chopped chilli (optional)
- Heat the oil and add the cumin seeds.
- When they start to crackle add the onion and garlic and stir around until golden.
- Add the garam masala, curry powder, chilli (if using).
- Turn the grill on to it’s highest setting.
- stir in the eggs and peas and cook until the eggs have almost set.
- Sprinkle over the salt and lay the cheese slices over the omelette.
- Grill until the cheese is bubbling and golden and serve immediately with a salad and a glass of white wine.